What is Pupil Premium?
The Pupil Premium is allocated to schools with pupils on roll that are known to have been eligible for free school meals (FSM) at any time in the last six years. Schools also receive funding for children who have been adopted or looked after continuously, and children of service personnel.
The funding allocation per pupil changes each year. Schools have the freedom to spend the Pupil Premium, which is additional to the underlying schools budget, in a way they think will best address inequalities, tackle disadvantage and support the raising of attainment for our pupils. This additional funding is invested in your child to help them achieve more at school.
We assure parents that all matters regarding the use of this special fund are treated with discretion and in confidence.
The Universal Free School Meals Initiative
If your child is in Reception, Y1 or Y2 they are entitled to the universal free school meals initiative. This means that all children in these year groups have a delicious and healthy meal every day in school free of charge. From September 2023, the Mayor of London, has introduced free school meals to KS2 children too.
We would still urge parents to complete a Free School Meals application as these children may still be eligible for the Pupil Premium Grant helping us to provide more resources, staffing, subsidise trips and help support your child’s development and learning.
Types of support provided by Pupil Premium funding
The range of provision the school is using may include:
- Small group work with an experienced teacher, HLTA or teaching assistant that is focussed on closing gaps in learning
- Booster groups and interventions to accelerate progress and ensuring pupils achieve at least age related expectations
- 1:1 support
- Additional teaching and learning opportunities provided through trained TAs or external agencies
- Resources aimed at raising standards, particularly in reading, mathematics and phonics.
- Extra-curricular enrichment (e.g. trips and clubs)
- Emotional literacy support to promote emotional wellbeing and resilience which in turn impacts on learning
The Early Years Pupil Premium
The Early Years Pupil Premium is given to early years providers who are delivering the funding entitlement for 3 and 4 year-olds. The funding equates to up to £300 extra per year for each disadvantaged child who meets the eligibility criteria. In order for School to claim the right amount of funding, we need your help.
What is Early Years Pupil Premium?
Early Years Pupil Premium is additional funding for early years settings to improve the education they provide for disadvantaged three and four year olds.
What is the eligibility criteria?
Early Years Pupil Premium can be claimed by the childcare provider if a child at their setting is accessing free early education for three and four year olds and the child's parent or carer receives one of the following benefits:
Or the child falls into one of the following groups:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseekers Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided the family is not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit run-on (paid for four weeks after a family stops qualifying for Working Tax Credit).
What can I do?
- Looked after by the local authority
- Adopted from care
- Has left care through a special guardianship arrangement
- Has left care and is subject to a child arrangement order (previously known as a residence order)
Parents or carers who think their child may be eligible for Pupil Premium should either contact the school office for more information or follow this link 'Merton FSM' in order to apply online.
It is a requirement that all Schools report on their Pupil Premium allocation, use and impact on attainment. We will do this on a yearly basis and display the information here on our website. The reports are available below.